Moving day is on the horizon, and the to-do list stretches out: packing, notifying utilities, updating your address, and of course, finding a vehicle for the move. If U-Haul is on your radar, there’s one crucial question to consider: how old do you have to be to rent a U-Haul?
The Age Requirement Breakdown:
- For Most U-Haul Vehicles: The baseline age requirement to rent most U-Haul vehicles, including trucks and cargo vans, is 18 years. All you need is a valid driver’s license, and you’re good to go.
- For U-Haul Trailers and Towing Equipment: If you’re considering renting a U-Haul trailer or towing equipment, the minimum age requirement is bumped up to 16 years. Again, possession of a valid driver’s license is mandatory.
Why The Age Requirement?
You might wonder why such restrictions exist. Here’s a quick rundown:
- Insurance Concerns: Younger drivers statistically represent a higher risk for rental companies due to limited experience on the road. As such, insurance premiums for these drivers can be prohibitively high.
- Safety: With age and experience comes enhanced road safety awareness. U-Haul’s age requirements are aligned with a commitment to ensuring safe usage of their equipment.
- Reservations and Booking: Regardless of age, reservations can be made online. However, the age verification will be conducted at the pick-up location when presenting your driver’s license.
- Rental Charges: Your age does not affect the base price of the rental, but other factors like duration, distance, and equipment type can influence the final cost.
Can I use an international driver’s license to rent a U-Haul?
Yes, U-Haul accepts both U.S. and Canadian driver’s licenses, as well as international ones, as long as they’re valid.
Are there any additional fees for younger drivers?
While U-Haul doesn’t charge “young driver” fees, always check the terms and conditions for potential additional costs.
What happens if someone underage is caught driving the U-Haul vehicle?
Driving a U-Haul vehicle under the age requirement can violate the rental agreement, leading to potential penalties and voiding insurance coverage.
Renting a U-Haul can be a straightforward process, but it’s essential to be aware of age restrictions to ensure a hassle-free experience. While the minimum age requirements are set with safety and insurance considerations in mind, they are quite accommodating to most renters. As always, it’s recommended to familiarize yourself with the company’s terms and conditions before securing a rental.