DoorDash, one of the leading food delivery services in the U.S., offers a flexible gig opportunity for those who want to earn some extra income on their own time. The company’s delivery drivers, known as “Dashers,” can choose when and where to work, offering them considerable control over their earning potential. If you’re interested in becoming a Dasher, this article will guide you through the process.
Before you start the application process, make sure you meet the following requirements:
- Age: You must be at least 18 years old.
- Driving Record: You should have a relatively clean driving record.
- Vehicle: You must have access to a vehicle—car, scooter, or bicycle (in select cities). The type of vehicle required can vary based on your location.
- Driver’s License and Insurance: If you plan to drive a car or scooter, you must have a valid driver’s license and insurance.
- Smartphone: You’ll need a smartphone to receive and manage orders through the DoorDash app.
- Background Check: Be prepared to consent to a background check.
- Sign Up: Visit the DoorDash website or download the DoorDash app and navigate to the “Become a Dasher” page. You’ll need to provide some basic information, including your name, email address, phone number, and the city you plan to work in.
- Vehicle Details: You will be asked to provide details about your vehicle. Remember, in some cities, you can also deliver on a bicycle.
- Background Check: DoorDash will conduct a background check that you must consent to. You’ll need to provide your Social Security Number (or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) for this process.
- Orientation: Depending on your location, you may be able to complete orientation online or be asked to visit a local office. During orientation, you’ll learn more about the process of delivering orders and using the DoorDash app.
- Dasher Supplies: After completing orientation, you’ll receive a Dasher kit. It includes an insulated bag and a prepaid Red Card (used to pay for orders at the restaurant, if necessary).
Setting Up for Deliveries
Once your background check clears and you receive your Dasher kit, you’ll be ready to start making deliveries.
- Schedule: You can schedule your shifts (known as “dashes”) in advance or simply log into the app when you’re ready to start accepting orders.
- App Navigation: Use the DoorDash app to accept or decline orders. The app will show you the delivery’s total pay, including tips, and the estimated time and distance before you accept.
- Delivery: After accepting an order, you’ll go to the restaurant, pick up the food, and then deliver it to the customer’s address. Use the app to keep customers updated if necessary.
Earnings and Tips
DoorDash uses a Base Pay + Promotions + Tips model to calculate earnings. Base pay is determined by the time, distance, and desirability of the order. Promotions include Peak Pay (available during busy times) and Challenges. Tips are determined by the customer.
Becoming a DoorDash Dasher can be a great opportunity for anyone seeking flexible work. Whether you’re looking for a full-time gig or just a way to earn some extra cash in your spare time, DoorDash offers the freedom to choose when and how much you work. With the convenience of managing everything from an app, being a Dasher could be a great fit for many people.